It is graduation time, which means teens are thinking about friendships changing, friends’ upcoming departures for college, transitions into the work force, or new life adventures beyond high school. It is a great time to talk about the important topic of vocation, both with teens who are graduating high school and those who have yet to reach that milestone.
There are few topics more important than that of vocation. Our careers not only provide us with the financial support we need but often bring fulfillment to our lives. When we enjoy our jobs and feel as if we are making a difference, then we tend to give more of ourselves to our jobs.
Due to a combination of factors, older generations often believe that today’s students are not interested in hard work. We see them coming back home to live after college, often while pursuing further education. But we have to realize that pursuing a career today is vastly different from the way it was in the last century. Many of the students in your class do have a desire to prepare themselves to be the best that they can be.
What teens need are mature adults who can talk honestly and openly about their careers and calling. Here are some ideas we have put together to help you engage teens in conversation and teaching on pursuing God’s calling on their lives.
- Graduation Banquet – Honoring graduating seniors with an all-church banquet where younger teens can see adults valuing the accomplishments of their peers is a great way to instill a sense of worth to the hard work of learning. Try to recruit two to three adults to share their life stories of pursing God’s calling beyond high school.
- Parent Stories – Get a couple of the parents of teens to share their stories of pursuing God’s calling on their lives in the teen classes before graduation time.
- Pastoral Calling – Invite the lead pastor in your church to come and teach about vocation and their calling into vocational ministry.
- Teaching Series – Think about doing a four- or five-week teaching series on vocation. Here is a resource from the Barefoot Online subscription.
- Other ideas – If you have any other ideas on how to engage teens in conversation on pursuing God’s calling share in the comment section below.